Module 1 Basic Life Support
* The principles behind Basic Life Support/Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for children and adults.
* Using manikins to practice the skills of performing chest compressions and giving rescue breaths.
* How to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
* How to help a choking child or adult.
* What to do in the event of drowning.
* The common causes of unconsciousness and the safe positioning of an unconscious child or adult.
* The symptoms and signs of heart attacks and strokes and their First Aid.
Module 2 Basic First Aid in the Mountains
* A simple protocol to follow when approaching any accident/unwell person in the mountains.
* Some life-saving phone apps that could help you in a time of need.
* How to call a rescue helicopter and how to prepare for its landing.
* The importance of head and spinal injuries and what to do.
* How to deal with broken bones, sprains, dislocations and knee injuries.
* How to deal with major bleeding and more minor cuts and grazes.
* How to prevent cold injuries including hypothermia and frostbite but also how to recognise and manage them if signs/symptoms do arise.
Dr Michelle Wright will teach this class. She is a British-trained General Practitioner and is well-known in Suisse Romande as the resident doctor on World Radio Switzerland, with her show "Health Matters". She leads the HealthFirst team of doctors, nurses and midwives who deliver physical and mental health First Aid training throughout Switzerland. More than 10,000 people have benefited from their dynamic courses since 2008.
Michelle also works part-time as a doctor in the Staff Medical Service of the International Labour Organisation, Geneva, maintaining her patient contact and